Friday, June 4, 2010

In the words of my uncle.... A LA CUISINE!

So hello. I'm sure anyone who's stumbled across this is well acquainted with me by now. I decided to start this blog as a way to chronicle my summer culinary adventures.

By way of history, we joined a CSA this year... for those you who are thinking "CS-wha? Stupid DC acronyms", CSA is a Community Supported Agriculture (erm... I think that's what it stands for). Basically, you pay a farmer a ridiculous amount of money in the spring. The farmer then collects the money and harvests his/her crop of food. He then splits it into 'shares', and you get a crapshoot of interesting, local, supposedly organic, produce all summer long. The middle-class-white-suburban part of you feels all good and cozy inside knowing you're supporting local food, while the farmers, admittedly, make their living from your large check. The upside? Local food. The downside? Well... let's look at our first two weeks, shall we?

Week 1:

Qingdao ( Chinese ) cabbage

Japanese Red Mustard greens

Red lettuce ( Romaine or loose-leaf )

Scallions

Arugula

Romaine

Wild card - mostly radishes, or other

Week 2:

Snow Peas or Broccoli

Scallions - red

Siberian Kale

Lettuce ( 2 )

Chinese Cabbage

Arugula

Herbs - Dill / Basil

Next week I'll start posting pictures. Notice the multiple heads of lettuce.

The upside is, I've already tried several new recipes I have never made before in an attempt to use up several pounds of arugula and twenty thousand stalks of scallions.

So basically, this blog is to record those recipes for posterity, to request any recommendations from all of you (I've already gotten eighty different ways to use a Chinese cabbage), and to share ideas. Oh, and if you're local, feel free to come over and try some. Four heads of lettuce is a lot to eat in one week...

No comments: